Monday, October 16, 2006

Soyatoo! and Gimme Lean 'Sausage' Roll

I updated this blog with an easy solution for the Soyatoo can. I have been having problem trying to work the Soyatoo cans. Lots of time, the whipped soya cream will not come out. Anonymous posted a solution on one of the comments below. Thanks so much! This is very helpful.....

"Anonymous said...
Anyone having issues with Soyatoo, here's a quick fix:I once bought it and it stopped working half way, this was because I put it back in the fridge and when I took it back out (then left it for 10 minutes as suggested) it still didn't work and all that came out was the propellant. I found the solution a few days ago, the Soyatoo needs either a very long time to soften from being in the fridge or (if you're impatient like me :P) run it under hot water.It really works wonders within seconds. You can tell if it worked by shaking it, if the cream is loose inside, it worked. I haven't found it to ever need more than a few seconds under the water though."


I haven’t blogged for a while due to ‘cooking laziness’…he he…. Yes, I have suffered this disease for a few weeks. After I enjoyed my vegan birthday and someone else’s cooking, we have been eating out a lot. We live in the city so it is easy to find vegetarian or vegan restaurants around us. At home, we have been eating a lot of sandwiches and soups and store-bought vegan stuff.

Talking about store-bought vegan stuff, see what I just bought: Soyatoo! the vegan soy whip in a can.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
I have heard about this product months ago from Bryanna’s Newsletter Subscribers’ forum and have been waiting for it to appear at the Whole Foods near me. I finally saw it at this store and bought it. Amazing, soy whipped cream? Yes, I can squirt it out like regular whip cream out of a can. It has lighter texture than regular whip cream. I was satisfied with that and liked the taste. The only thing is that the whipped soy cream doesn’t stay up as long as the regular whip cream. After a few minutes, it sort of became a melty looking cream although it is still creamy. Pictured is a blackberry shortcake I made, topped with Soyatoo whipped soy cream.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This coming Thanksgiving, vegans are able to enjoy vegan pumpkin pie with Soyatoo whipped soy cream on top. Dreamy!

The second item I enjoyed lately is the Gimme Lean from LightLife. Inspired by Albion Cooks’s blog entry: Vegetarian English Sausage Roll (September 13, 2006), I bought Gimme Lean ‘Ground Beef’ style and made a vegan sausage with it. I should have bought the ‘Sausage’ style but I could not find it. So I decided to add my own ‘sausage’ flavoring to the ‘Ground Beef’ style. I rarely use this product and in the beginning I didn’t like it. But somehow, I think, this product was improved and now I like it. I bought Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry or Aussie Puff Pastry (which is vegan) and filled it with the gimme lean sausage. The result was very good. It was really easy to make and enjoyable as snacks with spicy mustard.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Vegan Sausage Rolls
Makes 24 2-inches rolls
Printable Recipe

1 Gimme Lean Ground Beef Style
½ to ¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
½ cup soy milk
½ tsp dried thyme
½ tsp dried marjoram
1 tsp dried crumbled sage
¼ tsp rosemary
½ tsp freshly ground black pepper
½ tsp salt

1 pkg Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry or Aussie Puff Pastry
Preheat oven to 400 F.

Soak breadcrumbs in soymilk for a few minutes. Then, add all sausage ingredients to mix them well with your hands. Form little sausages (about 2 inches long) and roll them with your hands.

Prepare puff pastry according to the manufacturer’s directions. Roll each sausage in puff pastry sheet with a little overlap, cut sheet, and seal the overlap with your fingers.
Lightly coat baking sheets with olive or canola oil (use spray if you like). Bake the wrapped sausages in the oven for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let it cool for 10 minutes before serving.

10 comments:

Bryanna Clark Grogan said...

I wish we coould get these products where I live! We used to be able to get GimmeLean, but no more! Everything looks yummy!

Nikk said...

Wow! Those sausage rolls look really good, I am going to make these for a party coming up!

I really like the Soyatoo. I just tried it a few weeks ago. I find the flavor reminiscent of Cool Whip, but I'm not a fan of the melting factor.

It tastes really good though!

Catherine said...

Yeah! So glad you liked the sausage rolls! I thought they were fab and super easy!

Anonymous said...

Everything looks wonderful, as always :)

I loved Soyatoo but I'm one of those people who almost threw the can out the window because it stopped working (half full !)
I heard that a lot of people had the same problem.

Hope yours works until it is empty !

spiceislandvegan said...

My Soyatoo is still working so far. I am crossing my finger that it will continue to work.

Naughty Curry/Courtney, I found your blog. Very interesting, yours is my kind too! I could not find a place to drop a comment. I am cooking sweet potato too, a sweet potato waffle for my next blog.

Anonymous said...

I've had that problem with two cans of soy whip, first one only got a few squirts, then, no more came out.

This can looks ready to die too, and it's gotta be 3/4 full!

Anonymous said...

We have been using Soyatoo! Soy Whipped Cream for several months (my DH has to keep an extra on hand because he love it so much). It has only been the cans we purchased during the last three times that had problems. Either they wouldn't work at all, or would only work for a few seconds, and then quit. Perhaps it is just the one batch that went weird?

spiceislandvegan said...

I had one that was not working. You are right. Some of them worked and some didn't. It's too bad cause I love this product a lot. I may need to write to the company about this.

SIV

Anonymous said...

Anyone having issues with Soyatoo, here's a quick fix:

I once bought it and it stopped working half way, this was because I put it back in the fridge and when I took it back out (then left it for 10 minutes as suggested) it still didn't work and all that came out was the propellant. I found the solution a few days ago, the Soyatoo needs either a very long time to soften from being in the fridge or (if you're impatient like me :P) run it under hot water.

It really works wonders within seconds. You can tell if it worked by shaking it, if the cream is loose inside, it worked. I haven't found it to ever need more than a few seconds under the water though.

spiceislandvegan said...

Wow, thank you! I will post this solution in this blog. That's nice to know and I don't have to waste a lot of Soyatoo cans anymore.

Debbie